Illuminated Glowing Skin
If there’s one look that I want to be known for, it would be a radiant lit-from-within look. Don’t get me wrong, matte skin will always have its place in beauty. But beautiful skin for me is beaming with light.
Nothing looks more youthful, healthy and gorgeous than glowing skin.
I’m so happy I am living in the beauty era that gave birth to this ‘trend’. Like red lips, I feel glowing skin will transcend time and will always be a classic.
To showcase this look, I had 1 goal in mind: to prove that this look is for everyone
I chose women with different skin tones (mestiza to morena), skin type (oily, combination, dry) and I executed this look whether it’s for every day, for special occasion or for an editorial. The Illuminated Glowing Skin series of the Beautiful is Basic campaign guarantees that every Woman can look and feel like a Glow-Getter!
Jill and I go way back since high school. She treads the almost impossible balance of a woman you aspire to be and the woman you can relate to. Her beauty – captivating but never intimidating. Sometimes you’d want to hate her for being a ~unicorn~ but when it comes down to it, you really could not find anything to hate about her.
One thing you’ll instantly notice about Jill is her pore-less porcelain skin. She truly is the perfect canvass for the strobed look. Strobing is highlighting on steroids where you totally skip contouring (even bronzing) and use purely highlighter to bring out the dimension of your face. Highlighter is placed strategically on the highest points of the face where light naturally hits like top of eye brows, arch of eye-brows, bridge of nose, Cupid’s bow, chin and cheekbones.
The strobed look is a skin-focused look. Pretty and Minimalistic – that’s what we’re going for.
- Mixed a pea-sized amount of Makeup Forever HD foundation with Shu Uemura Glow Creator. If you can get away with as little coverage as possible, do it. I applied it with a damp Beauty Blender to get the most natural finish. The sheerer the coverage, the more skin-like.
- Applied a wash of shimmery peach shadow, tight-lined her eye (for that invisible liner effect) and fanned out her lashes with a separating mascara.
- Layered cream and powder highlighter on the high points of her face. I layered 2 products: (1) Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector (liquid) in Moonstone and (2) Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector (powder) in Champagne Pop.
- To keep the focus on the skin, I got creamy fuschia pink lipstick like Charlotte Tilbury K.I.S.S.I.N.G lipstick in Velvet Underground, barely deposited the on the inner lip then feathered out the color towards the edges. This gives a stained / faint-looking pop of pink.
Jill literally looks like a dream with her radiant glow. I love how the entire look is anchored on beautiful skin. Gone are the days where you just highlight either the eyes or lips. Skin is taking center stage more and more and I couldn’t be happier. I want to wake up every day looking like a glow-y unicorn. 🙂
Asst. General Manager, Travel Consultant, Baker, Dog Lover
I met Chrissie when she was a bridesmaid and I was the makeup artist of her longtime friend, the bride. She caught my eye because she barged in the bride suite like a sunshine. Her presence was warm considering we only met that day. She was a looker on the outside but even more radiant as her personality resonates.
Not going to lie, I was secretly jealous with Chrissie’s tanned skin. When I think about a sexy makeup look, a warm golden glow comes to mind first. You know how you look when you worshipped the sun and your skin is kissed with warmth and glow? S-E-X-Y!! With Chrissie, I wanted to show how to bring out that natural warmth that Filipinas have and how to have that glow, even if you’re on the combination-to-oily side.
This Sun Worshipper, summer-all-year-long look is Sexy and Sultry – see how to achieve this:
- Skin-prep is key for oily-combination skin girls who want to get their glow-on. I applied Makeup Forever Step 1 Mattifying primer before applying foundation. Most mattifying primers need to be patted on the skin, not rubbed.
- Strategic bronzer placement can take the place of contouring. Using a fluffy but angled brush, swirl it around your matte bronzer (I used Too Faced Chocolate Soleil bronzer) and apply on the outside perimeter, as if you’re drawing the number ‘3’ on both sides of your face. Bronzer should hit your temple, cheekbones and jaw; on Chrissie, I also applied bronzer sparingly on the top of her forehead.
- To add dimension to the look, I layered a radiant shimmery bronzer on top of the matte bronzer, focusing more on the top of her cheekbones. I used Kevyn Aucoin Celestial Bronzing Veil in Tropical Days.
- To keep the look warm and monotone, I stuck to orange-y shades. I used copper eye shadow for that instant smolder effect. The shimmery finish of the eye shadow keeps the eye look light. On the lips, I used Bobbi Brown lip color in Orange.
Chrissie’s look is what we all want to look like: tanned and glowing as if we just came from a weekend beach getaway. This sunkissed radiant look is achievable even if you’re the oily-to-combi skin type, just make sure to prep well. To make over-all look impactful, use the same warm tones on the eye and lips. 🙂
Issa was a former colleague at work and she was particularly memorable because on her first day in the office, I remember seeing the boys secretly give each other ‘the look’ (i.e. finally some PYT = Pretty Young Thing!!!) Suffice to say, she quickly became the office eye candy. You’d be surprised though how unfussy she is with her beauty.
A lot of people I notice just fuss about their look during special occasions – like looking their best is reserved for special days. But that’s not how Issa inspired me with this look: The ‘everyday glow’ is the happy medium of gorgeousness. It is balanced and never over-the-top, can be toned down for no-makeup days and toned up for special occasions. The ‘everyday glow’ is achievable by anyone, regardless of lifestyle, budget and beauty concerns.
The Everyday Glow is every one’s true basic aesthetics – here’s how to achieve it:
- A hydrating mist wakes up the skin and revives its radiance. I think of it as a daily spa treatment. Issa has dry skin so every bit of moisture on her skin is invited. Lancôme Absolue L’Extrait Ultimate Beautifying Lotion is a serum in mist-form.
- To save time on your morning routine, mix primer with a pea-sized amount of foundation. Makeup Forever Step 1 Hydrating Primer mixed with Bobbi Brown Stick Foundation is a match made in heaven for normal-to-dry skinned ladies.
- I dipped my blush brush in a rosy-colored blush (Makeup Geek blush) and a warm bronzer (Too Faced Chocolate Soleil), one after another and applied this concoction on Issa’s cheeks. That’s your gorgeous pop (blush) and warmth (bronzer) in a single step.
- Pick a feature you’d like to highlight: eyes or lips. For Issa, I lined her eyes with Bobbi Brown gel liner; if you’re more comfortable using a pencil liner, go for that instead.
Issa’s beauty is aspirational to a lot: beautiful in simplicity. Her look is the embodiment of my brand: basic, but not boring. Keep the sophistication up, Ladies. You don’t need a lot, you’re beautiful – let your own shine thru.